At UUFM, grades K-2 and 4-6 take Our Whole Lives classes. Our Whole Lives is a series of sexual education curricula. The children learn in an accurate and age-appropriate way about human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture.
K-1st and 4th-6th grade classes will meet in the winter on Sundays from 1-2 pm.
The Our Whole Lives values are:
- Self Worth
- Sexual Health
- Justice and Inclusivity
- Up-to-date information and honest, age-appropriate answers to all participants’ questions
- Activities to help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- Effective group-building to create a safe and supportive peer group
- Education about sexual abuse, exploitation, and harassment
- Opportunities to critique media messages about gender and sexuality
- Acceptance of diversity
- Encouragement to act for justice
The OWL program acknowledges that parents are the primary sexual educators. Our facilitators are trained to help with the education process. They will meet with all parents before the course starts and maintain communication during the sessions.
We use the age-appropriate OWL curriculum textbook along with It’s Amazing and It’s Perfectly Normal in our classes. We also ask our parents to purchase the Parent Guide to Our Whole Lives so they can learn about the curriculum and facilitate meaningful conversations at home.
For more information, please visit the UUA website: http://www.uua.org/religiouseducation/curricula/ourwhole/.